4.22.2011

Studio Work: Printmaking

Just as I suspected, printmaking is SO MUCH FUN!!!
Professor John Stewart, the same talented guy who taught Advanced Figure Drawing last quarter, is teaching Intro to Relief Printmaking this quarter. I am officially a big fan of J-Stew. It's mutual- the other day he confided that he liked me because I'm "a grown-up." Ha- that's what he thinks!
Project 1a: Pink Kiss, 5" x  8"
Project 1b: Ugly Me, 8" x 5"


PROJECT ONE: Self-portrait (again???) 
Having more than enough self-portraits, I decided to do a kiss-portrait instead. I donned lipstick, kissed paper, scanned it and enlarged it, and traced it onto a linoleum block.
I was totally happy with the results, but I finished early (what a STRANGE feeling!) so I decided to be an over-achiever and do another one. For Ugly Me, I was inspired by a conversation I had with John. We talked about how because we are used to seeing mirror images of ourselves, our own faces can look really strange in photos. I decided to do a self-portrait in which I exaggerated all of my asymmetry. The result was a pretty accurate depiction of me before my morning coffee.

PROJECT TWO: Shape and Shadow
The challenge here was to show volume and form with black and white only. This can be tricky, as I learned last quarter in Comics class. But with printmaking, it's more difficult because positive and negative space are reversed- you don't draw in the black, you carve out the white! I drew a larger-than-life ice cream cone, and threw in a dark shadow for some drama. We also had to complete an edition of three identical prints.
Project 2: Big Scoop, 14" x 10"
This image shows the inked block next to some prints.

The one on the upper left is known as the "Artist's Proof." It is not included in the edition because the registration is slightly off and I carved a few minor adjustments before the next print.

John expects the very best prints on perfectly clean, handmade Japanese paper. The registration should be perfectly straight, with symmetrical borders (a little extra on the bottom margin for a signature). The ink should be applied just right- just enough for solid coverage, but not too much! It takes forever for the oil ink to dry on the cotton paper.

PROJECT THREE: Stay Tuned!
For our next assignment, we will be doing double color prints, using the press, and pulling a larger edition. Fun!
 If anyone has any ideas for subject matter, let me know!

7 comments:

  1. darn it.... gimme one anyways!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to mention that we used micro-fine MDF for the last project. It was great! Strong, easy to carve, cheap... I recommend it to all my artist friends!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those lips. Clever way to get people to your blog, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder what you could do with the side of an RV??? Maybe a little something from each of the states that Steve and Carol have visited in the last what....seven years????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea William! And yes, Cathy, I've resorted to bribery!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jackie, I am in awe of all of your work. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete