2.05.2012

the FLUX series (more fun with alcohol ink)

I have done some more experiments with ink over the last few weeks. I feel as though I'm getting closer to not calling them just "experiments" anymore... soon...
This reminds me of an alien landscape. For some of these, I had a hard time deciding which way was up and which was down. I had them pinned to boards as I made them, so I could easily turn them to get the ink to run in different directions. So, even as I make them, they don't have a top or a bottom.

This one is going to be one half of an art trade; another artist, Megan, will give me one of her pieces in exchange for this one. She liked the way the blue streaks look like wood grain.

This one is a bit overworked, maybe, but I like the colors. It looks like one of those pictures taken by the Hubble space telescope.

This is the first print I made with this technique. I sprayed two pieces that I didn't really like with alcohol, then I pressed them together face to face. After pulling them apart, I ended up with two images that were perfect mirrors of each other. I plan on trying this more, because I have LOTS of rejects to mess with...

I like the neutral colors of this one.

This is another print; it has a mirror twin. I like the way the ink rearranges itself during the printing process.
This one is on acetate (the others are all on vellum). Acetate is harder to work with; it gets sticky and messy and curls up on itself. As a result, I'm less likely to overwork the image. This ended up being one of my favorites.
 Next up with ink: I have some very large sheets to work with, of both vellum and acetate. They are expensive, so I have been wanting to get more control with the stuff on smaller pieces first.
I also have glass, mirror, and ceramic tiles to experiment with.
There's a big, scary, pre-thesis show coming up in a few weeks, and I would like to put some of these ink pieces on a gallery wall, to see what people think of them.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jackie! I'm totally into these haha. How are you making them? I know you said they are prints but what is the process? Also, is it Megan Parsons that you are trading with? She's a big art-trader haha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Jaimi! The ink is alcohol-based, and spraying dried inks with alcohol makes them loosen up again, especially on vellum.
    So, for the prints, I just sprayed some old dried images with alcohol and pressed them together, then I sort of brayed them out. After I pulled them apart, the ink dried again. Possibly, I shouldn't be calling them PRINTS, but I don't know what else to call them. Megan Miller is the trader in this case, but I would love some of Megan Parson's work... I should talk to her...

    ReplyDelete