3.01.2011

And now for some color!

As promised, I branched out into colored pencils over the last few sessions of figure drawing. I really like Prismacolor pencils on smooth Bristol board, because I can achieve the same sensitivity and specificity of mark making as with graphite. I'm a little overly cautious still, though, because colored pencils don't erase as easily as regular ones do.



I initially intended to be more realistic with the color, but she had a blue spotlight shining on her... once I got started on the blue, I didn't want to stop. I always end up choosing the most fore-shortened angles with this model. I think it's because she always lays down for these long poses, and the foreshortening makes it more interesting to me.

See what I mean? Foreshortening is my thing, I guess. I do have fun with the challenge of it. I like the way she looks like she's sunbathing-makes me forget that it's freezing outside.

I've only drawn this model once. Too bad, because I like her ferocity. There really are green streaks in her hair, by the way. I really tried to loosen up my style with this one, to try and break out of my usually tighter style.


I know this post is supposed to be about color, but I really liked this one and wanted to share it. She was reclining (big surprise) and I chose a foreshortened angle (big surprise) but the fun part was that she was laying in front of a mirror. I hauled my easel up on top of the platform next to her so I could see her reflection and include it. This is graphite and white charcoal on gray toned paper.

 NEXT in figure drawing: we only have a few more classes this quarter, and I want to try pastels on black paper. Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment