3.02.2011

Technical Process: Figure Drawing

I am halfway through a two-class drawing session with the same model in the same pose. This is great, because I can take my time and pace myself.
Just for fun, I decided to analyze my process by running to the computer lab during the model's breaks so I can scan the work in progress.
1.Very faint lines, but accurate because I took my time.

 1. This first image is after about 30 minutes of work. I spent about 10 minutes on gesture drawings to get warmed up. This helps get me used to converting 3-D reality to a 2-D paper. Then, I switched to my 14" X 17" Bristol board, and started mapping out the figure. This involves making very light marks for all the "landmarks" like shoulders, knees, chin, heels, etc. I adjust and re-adjust til they are all in the right spot, often drawing imaginary lines to check for correct proportions and angles. Once I got it all down, I erased everything but the most basic, faint contour lines. Look closely, they're practically invisible!


2. Next, I started gradually blocking in major shadows, building them just as carefully and slowly as I did the contour lines. Notice I avoid working on the hands, feet, and face. This is intentional; I know they will be positioned slightly differently on day 2, so I'll wait until then to worry about the extremities. I want to make sure I place the highlights in just the right place, so that the shadows are balanced. (See Below)
2. You can barely see the shadows, but they're there.



3. For the last half hour of class, I deepened the shadows and strengthened the lines. I feel like I am at a good halfway point; the hard part is over (making sure everything is positioned correctly). Next class I can complete the extremities, refine the shading, and do just enough background to suggest a setting.



3. This is about 2 hours of work. Halfway done!
 I was smart enough to mark the floor with masking tape so I can place my seat in the same spot next class. I just have to make sure I get there early so no one else steals my spot...

I can't believe this is my last figure drawing before the final critique.

I will update this post next week so I can show you the final product. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment