3.10.2011

Techical Process: Figure Drawing, Part 2

Untitled Nude, graphite on plate-finish bristol, 16"x 12"
This is the result of a two-day figure drawing session.

I finished the figure by blending the shading, increasing the contrast, and finishing the hands, feet, and face.
This was the fun part! Day one was the hard part- check out my earlier post if you want to see the details.

I plan on darkening the background, especially under the bench and around her feet. I want to leave the background with a rougher texture, so the marble-like quality of her skin stands out in contrast.

When I finish the background, I'll add a new image to this post.




Here's an image of Rodin's The Kiss. This is an example of what I mean by contrasting texture. Rodin left the base of the sculpture rough and unpolished, which makes the flesh of the figures seem more alive in contrast.

I'm no Rodin, of course, but it's nice to dream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment